Understanding The Benefits Available From Workers’ Compensation
After suffering a work-related injury, numerous questions can arise. Workers’ compensation in California can be extremely complicated, and lack of knowledge can make it very difficult to get the benefits you need. Understanding what benefits are available to you can be particularly complex. The most important thing you can do is talk to an experienced lawyer who can help you understand your rights.
At The Law Offices of John G. Kiwan, you will find a trusted advocate. Attorney John G. Kiwan has more than 30 years of experience representing injured workers. We serve clients in San Diego and the surrounding areas in all types of workers’ compensation matters.
Type Of Benefits
The benefits available to you will depend on several factors, including the severity and longevity of the injury you have suffered. Benefits can include:
- Medical care: Workers’ compensation law requires the payment of all reasonably necessary medical treatments for work-related injuries.
- Temporary disability: If your injuries are deemed to be temporary, temporary disability benefits cover the wages lost due to the inability to work while you are recovering.
- Permanent disability: If you have a work-related injury or illness that will prevent you from working permanently, you could receive permanent disability benefits. There are complicated computations used to determine the severity of the disabilities you are suffering, and the level of severity will determine what percentage of your former income you will be eligible to receive.
- Supplemental job displacement: This is another important benefit, as it provides support in the form of a voucher to cover the costs of vocational training, tools and licensing or certification expenses. This will allow you to find other suitable work that you can perform so you can continue earning income.
- Death: If someone you love has died in a work-related accident, that person’s spouse, children and other dependents can receive benefits to cover burial expenses and other costs.
This is simply a list with brief descriptions of the various forms of workers’ compensation benefits available in California. But each of these forms of benefits brings numerous legal complications and challenges. It is critical to work with a legal team than can protect your rights and interests through the process.
Call Now For A Free Consultation
The Law Offices of John G. Kiwan offers free consultations, so there is no risk to you. Call 619-369-3504 or email us today to schedule your free initial consultation.